I Am Mine

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Sehri Histrionics

Sehri is a kaleidoscope of moods in our house. I sit close to Abba on the dining table and with half closed eyes it is very difficult to manage hand to mouth coordination leave alone taking the early morning small talk to a higher level. I admit here I am a very sound sleeper; to substantiate that I have under my belt an achievement where as a child my folks had to break open the main door as I refused to wake up amidst countless door thumping, bell ringing. My Abba struggles to wake me up every morning and just when he thinks I have regained consciousness. Ha little does he know I am still drunk on sleep and within minutes pass out. What follows is a duet where my mom and dad shout from the dining table to dig the pathway into my auditory tubes and reach my brain. The only recollection I have when I wake up is the threatening call from me mom when she says ‘ Theek hai naheen uth rahey hu naa, bhunkey piyaasey roza rakhna’ ; just want to detract a little here. For time immemorial our parents use negative stimuli to coax children; naheen? ‘yeh naa keru bhudda baba aa jayee gaaa’ or ‘yeh naa khaao pait mein dard hu jayee gaa’. But you have to give it to my folks, it does work. The first thing I lookup is the time and put in some dirty math to see if I am not being woken up early, considering I take 10 minutes to gobble down food and five minutes for brushing and wazu.
My parents are sweet; with both me and my younger bro working we get less time as a family to sit together and chit chat. But you’d empathize with me, early morning one can not be too cheery and indulge in the ramblings of work. I can hardly hear my dad and the text most often than not is reproduced by my mom if it is addressed to me. Three sentences which always make me smile every year and have always been part of Abba’s sehri regime since ever is ‘juldee juldee khaaao, time kum hai’; ‘khooob saaraa paaanee piyu’ and ‘haddi chour du aur chicken lai lu’ :D

4 Comments:

At 9:03 AM, Blogger ~meyum & a half~ said...

hahhaha!
with me its " sab log table pay beth kar sehri kartay hai..,main fridge main sehri karti hon"
lately since the past few rozas. amma has given up on me...so with close eyes i open the frifge and in 3 mins flat done with sehri.
and the dialogue i wrote was prolly the only sentance i have uttered during ramzan at sehri time:)

 
At 5:58 PM, Blogger M K Abbas said...

i miss the good old family ramzan. i mean the time when u actually wake up for sehri and eat parathas and undas and pheni and jam and all. at least that what i used to eat. sala gora land mein I wake up with enough time to chug down a few glasses of water and get ready for work.
I tell you, you guys in pakistan have it a lot better and a lot easier.

 
At 3:07 AM, Blogger The Prophecy said...

Yawi, this is positively hilarious!

UTHHHH JAAAAOOOOOO!

 
At 9:20 AM, Blogger M K Abbas said...

you do realize that ou havent updated this page in a year at least!
You Must Update It!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home